On this page:
Introducing the World Heritage Steering Committee
The Steering Committee was established in 2004. It prepares the Management Plan for the Royal Exhibition Building and Carlton Gardens. Members are appointed by the Minister for Planning. Heritage Victoria's Executive Director chairs the committee. It meets four times a year. Members Include:
- Steven Avery, Executive Director, Heritage Victoria (Chair)
- Sophie Handley, representative for City of Melbourne
- Lynley Croswell, representative for Museums Victoria
- Richa Swarup, representative for City of Yarra
- Felicity Watson, representative for the National Trust of Australia (Victoria)
We're reviewing the management plan
The World Heritage Management Plan for the Royal Exhibition Building and Carlton Gardens is being reviewed. The plan includes a range of documents to assist in the identification, protection and management of the site and all its heritage values.
Throughout 2020 and 2022 the Steering Committee have consulted, reviewed and updated the management documents. Community feedback has informed the review and update of the management documents.
In 2022 all documents forming the World Heritage Management Plan have been reviewed and finalised.
Reviewing and updating of the overarching management document has started and will be ready for public comment later in 2022.
The current World Heritage Management Plan was approved in 2013 - visit Engage Victoria to see how the plan is being revised.
World Heritage Management Plan and attachment documents:
- World Heritage Management Plan
- Attachment A: Conservation Management Plan
- Attachment B: Carlton Gardens Master Plan
- Attachment C: Royal Exhibition Building and Exhibition Reserve Master Plan
- Attachment D: World Heritage Strategy Plan
- Attachment E: Report on the public submissions to the Draft World Heritage Management Plan
Contact the Steering Committee
The Steering Committee welcomes your feedback. Contact us about the conservation of the Royal Exhibition Building and Carlton Gardens. The Steering Committee will review matters raised.
Find out more about the Steering Committee
Page last updated: 20/09/22