On this page:
Introducing the World Heritage Steering Committee
The Steering Committee was established in 2004. It prepares the World Heritage Management Plan for the Royal Exhibition Building and Carlton Gardens. Members are appointed by the Minister for Planning. Heritage Victoria's Executive Director chairs the committee. It meets at least four times a year. Members include:
- Steven Avery, Executive Director, Heritage Victoria (Chair)
- Sophie Handley, representative for City of Melbourne
- Lynley Croswell, representative for Museums Victoria
- Richa Swarup, representative for City of Yarra
- Simon Ambrose, representative for the National Trust of Australia (Victoria)
Draft World Heritage Management Plan - open for submissions until 17 February 2023
Public consultation is underway on the revised draft World Heritage Management Plan (the Plan) for the Royal Exhibition Building and Carlton Gardens. The Steering Committee intends to submit the to the Minister for Planning for approval. Before submitting the Plan to the Minister, any person or body may make a written submission. The Steering Committee will consider all submissions and may hold a hearing on matters raised.
The Chair of the Steering Committee, Steven Avery, would like to take this opportunity to acknowledge the significant contribution that has been made during previous rounds of public consultation. The insights that have been shared since our first consultation in 2013, and again more recently, have played a critical role in conserving and protecting this World Heritage site.
What can I submit on?
Submissions can be made on the new draft Part 1, any part of the revised draft Plan, or on the Plan as a whole. Part 1 outlines who manages the site, its significance, key constraints and opportunities and overarching management policies. Parts 2-5 were the focus of previous consultation rounds. Submissions are welcome on any part of the Plan to capture key issues of public concern. Matters raised during previous consultation rounds do not need to be submitted a second time.
How to make a submission
Submissions must be received on or before 17 February 2023. They must be in writing and emailed to the Steering Committee via email@example.com or posted to Heritage Victoria PO Box 500 Melbourne 8002. Any submission received will be treated as a public document. See Engage Victoria for full details.
The current World Heritage Management was approved in 2013
- World Heritage Management Plan
- Attachment A: Conservation Management Plan
- Attachment B: Carlton Gardens Master Plan
- Attachment C: Royal Exhibition Building and Exhibition Reserve Master Plan
- Attachment D: World Heritage Strategy Plan
- Attachment E: Report on the public submissions to the Draft World Heritage Management Plan
Contact the Steering Committee
The Steering Committee welcomes your feedback. Contact us about the conservation of the Royal Exhibition Building and Carlton Gardens. The Steering Committee will review matters raised.
Find out more about the Steering Committee
Page last updated: 11/01/23