On this page:

Do I need a consent?

You need a consent or a consent exemption from Heritage Victoria to disturb any historical archaeological site in Victoria.

Known historical archaeological sites are listed in the Victorian Heritage Inventory. Historical archaeological sites which aren’t included in the Victorian Heritage Inventory are also protected.

Apply for a consent

The Heritage Act regulates change to historical archaeological sites. It is your responsibility to ensure that any required consents or consent exemptions are obtained from Heritage Victoria.

Thorough research and preparation is required to develop a successful consent application. In most cases you will need to engage an archaeologist to provide specialist advice.

Step 1: Understand the different types of consent

Different activities affect archaeological sites in different ways. The activity will dictate the type of consent you need. You may need more than 1 consent to deliver your project.

Step 2 : Get professional advice

No matter what type of consent you’re applying for, you should get advice regarding the impacts of your proposal on archaeology. You may need to engage a consulting historical archaeologist. It’s likely they will be involved throughout the project. This will include involvement in the application, excavation, analysis and reporting.

Step 3: Prepare your application

Commission your experts to help prepare the required documentation for the proposed works at the archaeological site. This may include:

  • An outline of your proposed works, including the impact on archaeology
  • a description and background history for the site
  • a statement of significance of the archaeological site
  • the method and level of archaeological investigation proposed including research design and excavation methodology
  • an artefact retention policy and artefact management proposal
  • curriculum vitae demonstrating the skills and experience of the archaeologist and conservator
  • a letter detailing the engagement of the project conservator.

Complete the consent application form, including payment of the application fee. In some instances, fees may be waived. You can request a fee waiver by completing the form and submitting it with your application.

You will be asked to register or log in at the next step so you can save and track your application.

Complete a consent application

Apply for a consent exemption

If you want to undertake minor works at a Heritage Inventory site you may be able to apply for a consent exemption.

Apply for a consent amendment

If you need extra time to complete the authorised works, need to change the scope of works, change the approved methodology of an existing consent or amend a consent for any other reason, you may need to apply to amend your consent.

Page last updated: 01/07/24