Registered places and objects

This page highlights some places and objects in the Victorian Heritage Register.

To see all the registrations please visit the online Victorian Heritage Register. More information about recent registrations is available in the Heritage Council’s recent determinations.

Melbourne AIDS Memorial Quilt (VHR H2418)

The Melbourne AIDS Memorial Quilt is historically significant as one of the most important artefacts of the AIDS crisis in Victoria from the 1980s onwards. Part of the international AIDS memorial quilt movement, it represents a pivotal moment in the history of commemorative textile making in Victoria.

The Quilt represents the community care, volunteerism and political activism associated with the AIDS crisis. It has a strong, special, and continuing association with particular social groups affected by the AIDS crisis and their families.

Image of beautiful quilt
Melbourne AIDS Memorial Quilt (quilt block B19 containing 8 quilt panels)
Source: Thorne Harbour Health

Lyceum Club (VHR H2417)

The Lyceum Club is historically significant as the clubrooms of the largest private members club for women in Victoria. The club was designed by architect Edythe Ellison Harvie and built in the late 1950s.

Since its construction the club has been renovated and expanded by women architects. The continuous design input by women designers over decades is rare. The Lyceum Club is also socially significant for its continued association with its members. Members first met in rented clubrooms in 1912, and since this time the club's reach and influence across the state has been vast and intergenerational.

Lyceum Club
Source: Heritage Victoria

Edith Ingpen House (VHR H2416)

The Edith Ingpen House is significant as an example of an interwar building. Edith Ingpen designed and built her own isolated weekend retreat in the 1930s.

The house demonstrates emerging design such as a flat roof and circular form. It was built using functional construction methods and local materials. The circular form of the house is rare for the 1930s and foreshadows the geometric forms that became popular almost 20 years later, by Modernists such as Roy Grounds in the 1950s.

Image of house surrounded by trees
Edith Ingpen House
Source: Heritage Victoria

Footscray Psychiatric Centre, Footscray (VHR H2395)

The Footscray Psychiatric Centre added to the VHR in 2020, opened in 1977 as a community mental health centre. The centre represents an important point in Victoria’s history. A time when large psychiatric hospitals closed and new approaches of treating mental illness were explored.

From the outside the dramatic Brutalist-style building can appear mysterious, inside, its therapy rooms, residential rooms and communal spaces very clearly evoke its former use.

There are many 19th-century asylums and mental hospitals already in the Victorian Heritage Register (VHR) but the Footscray Psychiatric Centre is the first place included that captures late 20th-century approaches to the treatment of people experiencing mental illness..

Footscray psychiatric centre
Footscray Psychiatric Centre (VHR H2395)
Source: John Jovic

Diesel LocomotiveA60, Currently Located in Seymour(VHR H2408)

Diesel Locomotive A60 has been recently included in the VHR. This locomotive started service as B60 in 1952 named Harold W Clapp. In 1984, it converted to A60 and renamed Sir Harold Clapp.

The B60 was built as part of Operation Phoenix, a post-war recovery program, and was the first mainline diesel locomotive to operate in Victoria. Upgraded to A60 as part of the New Deal for Country Passengers. It was the flagship of the Victorian Railways until the 1980s and even hauled the Royal Train when the Queen visited Victoria in 1954.

A60 Train
Diesel Locomotive A60 (VHR H2408)
Source: Peter Sweetten, Seymour Railway Heritage Centre Inc.

Yarra Bend Park, Fairfield (VHR H2398)

Yarra Bend Park was included in the VHR in 2021. Historically significant as a place of contact and interaction between Aboriginal and non-Aboriginal people in the formative years of Victoria’s development.

This resulted in the establishment of institutions near the confluence of Merri Creek and the Yarra River, including the:

  • Merri Creek Protectorate Station
  • Merri Creek Aboriginal School
  • Native Police Corps Headquarters

Yarra Bend Park has associations with Billibellary, Ngurungaeta (leader) of the Woi wurrung and Assistant Protector William Thomas.

Yarra Bend Park is also archaeologically significant for its potential to contain features, deposits and/or artefacts that relate to various government initiated and/or operated institutions, including the Yarra Bend Asylum, Victoria’s first mental hospital.

Yarra Bend Asylum
Depiction of the Yarra Bend Asylum, 1868 (VHR H2398)

Former Aboriginal Church of Christ, Fitzroy (VHR H2393)

This former church in the Melbourne suburb of Fitzroy is important to Victoria’s heritage as the place where Pastor Doug Nicholls established the Aboriginal Church of Christ in the 1940s. It was included in the Victorian Heritage Register in 2019.

Pastor (later Sir) Doug Nicholls was a footballer, activist, pastor and later Governor of South Australia. Both he and his wife Gladys were strong campaigners for Aboriginal rights and justice. During the 1940s, when Fitzroy was home to Victoria’s largest Aboriginal community, the church became an important place of worship, community assistance, support and activism for Aboriginal people. Many Aboriginal political and welfare organisations emerged from the people who met at Pastor Doug’s church. It remains a symbol of the Aboriginal rights movement in Victoria.

Former Aboriginal Church of Christ, Fitzroy (VHR H2393)

Page last updated: 04/08/22