Permit policies and decision making guidelines
The Heritage Council and Heritage Victoria need to consider a variety of principles, guidelines and legislation when deciding whether to grant or refuse a permit application:
- December 2013: the Heritage Council resolved to recognise and endorse the Burra Charter 2013 as a key document for guiding best-practice cultural heritage management in Victoria.
- 7 July 2010: the Executive Director, Heritage Victoria recognised and endorsed the Burra Charter 1999 as a key document for guiding best-practice heritage management in Victoria.
Under section 101 of the Heritage Act 2017 the Executive Director must consider:
- how the proposal affects the cultural heritage significance of the registered place or object,
- if a refusal would affect the reasonable or economic use of the registered place, and submissions received.
The Executive Director can’t consider change of use, car parking, or other planning issues unless the issues would result in an adverse impact upon the cultural heritage significance of the registered place.
1 July 2012: the Executive Director of Heritage Victoria adopted policy guidelines that allow the Executive Director to consider the findings of a Victorian Design Review Panel (VDRP) report when making a decision:
- The consideration of recommendations of the Victorian Design Review Panel under sections 73(1)(f) and 73(1A)(b) of the Heritage Act 1995 (PDF, 462.3 KB)
- The consideration of recommendations of the Victorian Design Review Panel under sections 73(1)(f) and 73(1A)(b) of the Heritage Act 1995 (DOC, 791.5 KB)
The purpose of this policy is to encourage high quality design solutions for works to places and objects on the Victorian Heritage Register and give weight to the advice of the VDRP.
1 July 2010: the Executive Director, Heritage Victoria has adopted the Victorian Government Cultural Heritage Asset Management Principles as guidelines for all permits applied for by State Government departments and agencies under s.67 of the Heritage Act 1995.
1 January 2011: the Executive Director, Heritage Victoria, has adopted the Technical Leaflet Access for all to Heritage Places (Heritage Council of Victoria, December 2008) as guidelines for all permits that include the provision of access to heritage places for people with disabilities applied for under s.67 of the Heritage Act 1995.
23 August 2012: the Executive Director of Heritage Victoria adopted a policy covering the exploration or recovery of historic shipwrecks:
- Matters to be considered in determining permit applications for exploration or recovery of historic shipwrecks and historic shipwreck relics under section 113 of the Heritage Act 1995 (PDF, 556.1 KB)
Permit Review Hearings are held by the Heritage Council Owners or custodians who are dissatisfied with a permit decision by Heritage Victoria can challenge that decision in person:
Recent permit decisions
Page last updated: 2018-04-09 13:26:51